Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Stop Bullying Yourself!

Why are there times when it's difficult to have a positive attitude? The little negative things that you tell yourself never seem to go away, they actually tend to pile up onto one another, and BOOM...there you are in a full blown bad mood!

Read what I wrote again, "The little negative things that you tell yourself....". We are, at times, our own worst enemy and we don't even realize it because it's become an every day habit of insulting ourselves. It's become part of who we are...a bully! I bully myself every time I look in the mirror, "Look at your makeup? What were you thinking when you applied that eyeliner this morning?" or when I'm at the supermarket, "Do you even know how to cook Kale? That's right, put it back down.", "Look at you, you know you've gained weight, so why are you staring at those Oreo cookies? Keep moving along!", and I even bully myself in mixed company, "What did you just say? Oh Donna, you didn't just say that? Look at them looking at you, they have no idea what you're even talking about? Just let them talk and be funny, you're embarrassing yourself again.".

These negative thoughts that run through my mind have been implanted there, against my will, many years ago. I've either heard it being said to someone else, absorbed the information from watching television or reading a magazine, or it's something that someone has said directly to me. Either way, it's not working for me anymore. I'm learning to create new healthy habits. Habits of telling myself that I am pretty, I am healthy and in good shape, and I am both interesting and funny. As soon as those negative thoughts come to me, I take a breathe and continue on with what I was doing. Almost as if I'm ignoring an ignorant comment from another person. I'm reprogramming my mind to think in the positive. Eventually I won't have to stop to take a breathe, I will be flowing through my every days loving myself for who I fully am.

No comments:

Post a Comment