Tuesday, June 24, 2014

What Blocks Communication?

There are four things that can block communication between two people. By avoiding these four things, you will see how opportunities for positive change begin to happen.

1) Judging people because their morals or values are not the same as ours can cause a block. "How can I communicate with someone I don't agree with? So, I won't."

To open communication, you can say,"I don't necessarily agree with her, but I want to listen and then give my own views on the subject."

2) Comparing people who you feel to be better than you or beneath you. "She's the owner of the company. Who am I to tell her that she did the math wrong on the report? I'm not going to say anything."

To open communication, you can say, "you may want to re-check your calculations before sending the report out. I came up with different amounts."

3) Denial of our responsibility in how we are feeling and blaming others for how we are reacting. "You're always making me feel as if I'm a terrible person to be around."

To open communication, you can say, "Hearing you say that makes me feel sad, because I'm getting the feeling that you don't want to be around me as much." Wait for their response...I bet their not going to say you're a terrible person to be around.

4) Communicating our desires as demands. "I can't believe you're going to play golf again this Sunday!"

To open communication, you can say, "I'm disappointed that you made plans for golf this Sunday, because I was hoping we can go see a movie and grab dinner"

No comments:

Post a Comment